This week Jesse and I made an army of these Gluten Free Chocolate Gingerbread Men for a Christmas present.
I love giving family and friends baked goods for Christmas and this chocolate gingerbread recipe is our favourite so it’s a perfect gift. I had a ball decorating the gingerbread men cut outs – especially the ones with a leg or head missing. The cutouts were gifted to Jesse last Christmas.
We also made Christmas bark for the first time (a white choc version with strawberry candy canes pictured above). I might share that next time.
- 125 g butter
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2¾ cups gluten free plain flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg white
- 1¼ cups icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160° fan forced and line baking tray with baking paper.
Using an electric mixer or stand mixer beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup until creamy. Add egg yolk and combine.
- Stir in flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Bring dough together and knead until smooth. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes. Tip: If its still a bit gooey and sticking to your hands add a little extra flour.
- Roll the dough until 5mm thick and using a gingerbread man cutter, cut shapes from dough, re-rolling dough scraps. Place, 2cm apart, on prepared trays. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until firm to touch and set aside to cool before decorating.
- Using a stand mixer, beat eggwhite in a bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until combined. Stir in lemon juice.
Spoon icing into a piping bag or snap-lock bag with corner sniped off. Decorate gingerbread men with icing. Set aside for 20 minutes or until set before eating!