Caramel slice has always been on the list of treats I wanted to make gluten free, but hadn’t quite got around to it until now with this Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Slice.
Fast forward several years and I finally decided to give it a go, adding my own little twist. End result was this Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel slice and it is truly AMAZING.
Not usually one to toot my own horn, but after tweaking the recipe this past weekend and taste testing the slice again (hey someone has to do it) I know you will love it! How can you go wrong with the combination of salted caramel and chocolate?
Thanks for stopping by,
- ¾ cup gluten free plain flour
- ¾ cup gluten free self-raising flour
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 200 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can (395g) condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 375 g dark chocolate melts
- 40 g copha (vegetable shortening)
- sea salt flakes to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced and line the sides and bottom of a slice/brownie sized baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine coconut, flours and caster sugar in a stand mixer or food processor until just combined. Then add the butter while mixing on low speed until the dough just forms a ball.
- Remove the dough from the mixer/food processor and spreading evenly press the dough into the base of the baking tray, before baking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool whilst you make the caramel filling.
- Place all the ingredients except the sea salt into a medium sized saucepan and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure the mixture does not burn.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sea salt before pouring the filling over the slice base.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the pan. Don't be alarmed the caramel filling will look caramelised or slightly burnt on the top, once removed from the oven.
- Place the chocolate and copha in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute, then remove from the microwave to stir before heating for a further 45 seconds until completely melted.
- Stir chocolate and copra mixture until smooth and glossy before pouring over the slice and refrigerating until the chocolate has set.
- Once the slice has set, remove from the pan and cut up into squares and sprinkle a dash of sea salt flakes on the top prior to serving.