This past weekend I baked these Gluten Free Pecan Blondies and after taste testing (as all good cooks do) I concluded these blondies are simply AMAZING. In fact, I caught my husband stealing two blondies out of the container before they were even photographed. That’s when you know you’re onto a winner!
I also came to the conclusion that blondies don’t get nearly enough attention compared to brownies and really ought to be baked more often. They have a similar texture to a brownie, but the cocoa base is substituted for a vanilla base. Hence the name “Blondie”.
I think thats enough from me today, but if you bake no other slice from my blog, I suggest bake these blondies!
- 1½ cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (65g) pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150 g white chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup (30g) chopped pecans, extra
Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 20x30cm tray with baking paper, leaving the paper hang over the sides of the tray.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl.
- Using the stand mixer or electric beaters on medium speed cream the sugars, butter and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Then gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour to the butter mixture and gentle stir in the pecans before spreading the mixture into the base of the tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave in the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a small saucepan. Stir the mixture over low heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture smooth. Then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, spread the chocolate mixture over the top of the slice and sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top as desired.
- Allow the icing to set before cutting the blondies into squares and serving.