In the spirit of Halloween I decided to make this Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie last weekend!
For those unfamiliar with Pumpkin Pie, it’s a traditional sweet dessert made in the United States and Canada at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas time.
Now one of my favourites, I thought I should share my recipe for Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie with you all. I could seriously eat it all year round!
Thanks for stopping by.
- 1¼ cups gluten free plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 115 g cold unsalted butter, cut into 1cm cubes
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 500 g fresh pumpkin puree, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup milk
Using the stand mixer with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, sugar and salt in the mixer bowl. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture before mixing on medium-law speed until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal and the butter pieces no bigger than small peas.
Add the water and mix on low speed just until the dough pulls together. Transfer the dough to a work surface lightly dusted with plain flour and flatten into a disk with the rolling pin before rolling out into a round circle. About 30cm in diameter and 3mm thick to make one single pie crust.
Carefully transfer the dough to a 9 inch (23cpie pan and pat into the bottom and sides of the pan. Refrigerate or freeze the pie base until firm, for approximately 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced.
- Retrieve the pie shell from the fridge/freezer and cover with a sheet of aluminium foil large enough to hang over the sides, patting it into the bottom and up and over the sides of the dough. Cover the bottom of the shell with a generous layer of pie weights or raw short-grain rice.
- Then partially bake the pie base for 20 minutes. If the dough looks wet, continue to bake, checking every 5 minutes, until the dough is pale gold. The total baking time should be no longer than 25-30 minutes.
In a bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Add eggs and beat lightly with a fork until combined. Gradually stir in both milks until mixed well.
- Pour filling into the pre baked pie base and cook for 35-45 minutes at 180°C fan forced until the filling is slightly risen and firm in the middle. Then transfer to a wire wrack and let cool. You can serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
2 thoughts on “Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie”
Thank you. It sure was yum!