This Gluten Free Jelly Slice has been on my bucket list to make for a while now. Believe it or not it was my first time making jelly slice let alone a gluten free version. So I finally got around to making it and it did not disappoint! My friends certainly enjoyed it on the weekend.
To mix things up a little I decided on lemon flavoured jelly instead of the standard raspberry flavour. This resulted in me eating 1/4 of the slice myself it was that good! It’s such a fresh tasting slice with very few ingredients. Truly a perfect treat for spring or summer.
P.S. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little and added extra gelatine to the middle lemon layer, as I noticed it didn’t quite set as desired when I made it. So if you decide to make the recipe, please let me know how you go and if I got it right second time around?
Thanks for reading,
- 170 g butter, melted
- 350 g plain gluten free sweet biscuits. I used Leda gluten free Arrowroot biscuits.
- 1 tin (395g) condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (approximately 4 lemons)
- 4 leaves gelatine (or 2 teaspoons gelatine powder)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon gelatine leaf (or ½ teaspoon gelatine powder)
- 1 packet (85g) lemon flavoured jelly crystals
- 1 cup boiling water
- Lightly grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington tray and line with baking paper.
- Using a food processor crush biscuits until fine crumbs are formed, then add in melted butter and mix until combined.
- Press biscuit mixture evenly into the tray and refrigerate until cold and firm. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Mix condensed milk with lemon juice in a medium size bowl.
- In a small bowl with cold water, soak the gelatine leaves for 5 minutes until soft then squeeze excess water from the gelatine and dissolve in boiling water and cool.
- Once dissolved gelatine is cool, stir into the condensed milk mixture.
- Pour filling over the biscuit base then refrigerate until cold and set. Approximately 2 hours.
- Soak the gelatine leaf for 5 minutes in cold water to soften. Squeeze excess water from the gelatine then stir into a medium size bowl with jelly crystals and boiling water until gelatine and crystals are dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour jelly mixture over slice and refrigerate until jelly is set. Approximately 2-3 hours before cutting slice into squares and serving.