Today I’m sharing these Gluten Free Linzer Cookies. Growing up one of my favourite biscuits were “Jam Fancies” or “Jam Francies” as we liked to call them in my house. Two shortbread biscuits sandwiched with jam filling, also known as “Linzer Cookies”.
Whilst jam fancies weren’t an everyday item in the kitchen cupboard, I can still remember how delicious they tasted. So much so, I’ve been craving a gluten free version ever since!
So when I stopped by a homewares store a few months back I was super excited to find Linzer cookie cutters, and this past weekend I finally crossed gluten free jam fancies off my to bake list.
Now after taste testing I can honestly say with 100% confidence that these cookies taste exactly like jam fancies, maybe even better?!
Thanks for stopping by,
The Naughty Dietitian.
- ⅔ cup almond meal
- 2½ cups gluten free plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 185 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup raspberry/blackberry jam
- In a bowl combine the almond meal, plain flour and salt then set aside.
Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed for approximately 2 minutes until light and creamy. Then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for a further minute.
- Add half the dry ingredients into the stand mixer and beat on low speed for 1 minute until most of the mixture has been absorbed. Then add the remaining flour mixture and beat until a dough is formed and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
Divide the dough into 2 balls, cover in glad wrap (also known as plastic wrap) then refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 4 baking trays with baking paper. Remove the dough from the fridge, let it stand for 5 minutes then roll out the dough (about ¼ inch thick) onto a lightly floured bench.
- Using your linzer cookie cutters cut out an equal amount of the solid circle shape and individual diamond/star/circle/flower shaped cookies with the centre missing and place on to the baking trays.
- Bake the cookies for approximately 10-11 minutes or until golden brown edges form then set aside to cool.
- To assemble the cookies, spread approx. 1 level teaspoon of desired jam into the centre of the solid circle shape biscuit before topping with the cookies with the individual designed centre shape.
Note: the biscuits will soften up over a few days as the jam absorbs moisture, so best stored/consumed within 3-5 days.