This past week called for a new summer dessert, this Gluten Free Mango Macadamia Ice Cream Bar. Filled with fresh mango and a tasty macadamia and ginger based biscuit top, this ice cream bar looks almost like an upside down cheesecake. What’s even better it doesn’t require churning or an ice cream maker!
This dessert is something I have been wanting to try for a while so I thought I’d take the opportunity while mangoes were cheap. It tastes just divine and easily serves 10 people!
Now all that’s needed is a few summer days to enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by,
The Naughty Dietitian
- 100 g gluten free gingersnap biscuits
- 2 tablespoons toasted macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 20 g butter, melted
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 400 g fresh ricotta
- ¾ cup caster sugar, extra
- 300 g sour cream
Line a loaf pan with foil covering all sides of the pan. Using a food processor, process biscuits until they become fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and stir in nuts and butter until combined. Press biscuit mixture lightly into the base of the pan before covering and freezing for 20 minutes or until firm.
Meanwhile, using the food processor blend mangoes, 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and lime juice until smooth. Then blend ricotta and ¾ cup caster sugar until smooth. Add sour cream and continue to blend until just combined.
- Place alternate spoonfuls of mango mixture and ricotta mixture over the biscuit base then cover and freeze overnight or until firm.
- Turn frozen mixture out of the pan onto a chopping board, remove foil and stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Thanks to The Australia Women's Weekly for the original recipe, which I adapted to be gluten free.