Growing up my mum made this chocolate and peppermint slice she called Peppermint Log and ever since I have loved peppermint chocolate. The slice is normally made with Arnott’s Chocolate Ripple biscuits, so being on a gluten free diet for the over 10 years meant no peppermint log for me.
So I decided to rectify the situation and made my a gluten free version of the slice which turned out perfectly. If you like chocolate and peppermint you will love this recipe, but I will warn you it’s addictive…
Thanks for reading. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
- 60 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g butter, chopped
- 1 cups gluten free plain flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- ⅛ cup baking cocoa
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225 g (20) gluten free dark chocolate biscuits
- ¾ can (300g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, for coating
- 1 block (220g) Cadbury peppermint chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced) and line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, caster sugar, cocoa powder and bi-carb soda in a large bowl. Then add the eggs and vanilla followed by the chocolate mixture until combined.
Roll approximately 1 tablespoon portions of cookie mixture into balls. Place, about 5cm apart, on prepared trays and bake for 18 mins. Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- Freeze the peppermint chocolate for 30 minutes then remove from freezer and chop roughly into small pieces.
- Process biscuits in food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor use a rolling pin to crush biscuits.
Combine biscuits, condensed milk and peppermint chocolate in a medium size bowl. Roll handful of mixture or desired amount into a log shape then roll in coconut to coat. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Cover peppermint log with plastic wrap and freeze overnight to firm before cutting into bite size slices to serve.
3 thoughts on “Peppermint Chocolate Log Gluten Free”
Reblogged this on Favourite Gluten Free Recipes and commented:
Reminds me of a Mint Pattie crossed with a Golden Rough, the best of both…
I think so too! P.s. Thanks for sharing a few of my recipes with your readers. xoxo
Pingback: 2014 in Review | Inspired By Boo