After numerous birthday parties, a wedding, baby shower and even an ice skating competition, I finally bring to you a new recipe, Gluten Free Persian Love Cake.
I stumbled across this cake in a cafe a few years ago and immediately went in search for the recipe. I can honestly say I have never tasted a cake quite like this one.
So I decided to make it last week for my boss’s birthday because a) I wanted to make something other than your stock standard chocolate cake and b) it tastes great.
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think if you end up baking it?!
- 3 cups (360g) almond meal
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 120 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 g greek style yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup (45g) pistachios, coarsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forceand lightly grease and line a 26cm diameter springform tin with baking paper.
Combine the almond meal, brown sugar, raw sugar, salt and softened butter in a bowl. Rub together with fingertips until coarse crumbs are formed. Spoon half of this mixture into the prepared tin, gently pressing to cover the base evenly.
Add the eggs, yoghurt and nutmeg to the remaining mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Pour remaining mixture evenly over the prepared base and scatter pistachios around the edge or as desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Don’t be alarmed if it still feels soft it’s meant to be that way. Cool completely in the tin on a wire rack.