I’m a big believer in telling your loved ones how much they mean to you every day, rather than on a designated day once a year. BUT, I still celebrate Valentines Day. Call it a hazard of growing up working in a florist.
So what better way to celebrate Valentines Day with a special someone than by baking these Red Velvet Brownie Bites?! I know red velvet isn’t the “trendy” flavour at the moment, but it is the go-to for Valentines Day being red and all.
I also distinctly remember baking red velvet cupcakes for Jesse when we had just started dating, so it’s a flavour I always think of when it comes to love. Might I add, it’s pretty damn tasty too!
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Valentines Day for Sunday!
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (115g)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- ¾ tsp white vinegar
- ¾ cup plain flour, gluten free
- 225 g cream cheese, softened (I used Liddells Lactose Free Cream Cheese)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x13 inch brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl until melted (approx. 1 minute). Then stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring and vinegar. Mix each of those ingredients into the mixture in that order.
- Whisk the eggs into the brownie mixture. Then fold in the flour until combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into prepared tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Set aside the brownies to cool while you make the cream cheese topping.
- Using a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract on medium speed until completely smooth (approx. 1 minute).
- Then spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the brownie layer and smooth over with a spatula or knife, as desired.
- Cut into bite size squares, roughly 1 inch size and serve.
Brownies can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.