I’m a big believer in telling your loved ones how much they mean to you every day, rather than on a designated day once a year. BUT, I still celebrate Valentines Day. Call it a hazard of growing up working in a florist.
So what better way to celebrate Valentines Day with a special someone than by baking these Red Velvet Brownie Bites?! I know red velvet isn’t the “trendy” flavour at the moment, but it is the go-to for Valentines Day being red and all.
I also distinctly remember baking red velvet cupcakes for Jesse when we had just started dating, so it’s a flavour I always think of when it comes to love. Might I add, it’s pretty damn tasty too!
If you like these red velvet brownies you might also like my Red Velvet Cheesecake, or for something not red velvet flavoured, what about my Linzer Cookies in a love heart shape?
Thanks for stopping by and Happy Valentines Day for Sunday!
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted (115g)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp red food colouring
- ¾ tsp white vinegar
- ¾ cup plain flour, gluten free
- 225 g cream cheese, softened (I used Liddells Lactose Free Cream Cheese)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 9x13 inch brownie tin with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs together and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl until melted (approx. 1 minute). Then stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring and vinegar. Mix each of those ingredients into the mixture in that order.
- Whisk the eggs into the brownie mixture. Then fold in the flour until combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into prepared tin and bake for approximately 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Set aside the brownies to cool while you make the cream cheese topping.
- Using a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract on medium speed until completely smooth (approx. 1 minute).
- Then spoon the cream cheese mixture onto the brownie layer and smooth over with a spatula or knife, as desired.
- Cut into bite size squares, roughly 1 inch size and serve.
Brownies can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.