A few weeks ago I put in a special birthday request for this Gluten Free Salted Caramel Pecan Cheesecake and my wonderful fiancé was kind enough to make it for me.
Initially I thought the pecans might have been a bit much but it really finished off the cake. I also think it might just be THE best cheesecake I have ever eaten… Although the Lemon Curd Cheesecake I baked for Jesse’s birthday comes in a close second.
Now I can’t take credit for baking this yummy cheesecake but I can share the recipe.
Thanks for reading.
- 1¼ cups gluten free plain sweet biscuit crumbs (I used Schar Gluten Free Maria Biscuits)
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 750 g cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 60 g unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 large pinch sea salt
Heat the oven to 180ºC. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
Mix together the mare biscuit crumbs, butter, and sugar in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Evenly press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared springform pan.
- Combine the cream cheese and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until light, airy and smooth.
- Add the yolk and then the eggs one at a time, mixing completely after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix until blended.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean and the center of the cheesecake is just set (about 40 minutes).
- Turn off the oven, leave the door slightly ajar, and let the cheesecake cool completely.
Stir together the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let boil until the mixture turns amber in colour (about 3 minutes).
Immediately add the butter and stir to incorporate. Remove from heat, add the cream, and mix well. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled cheesecake, then scatter the pecan pieces and sea salt over the top.