This Traditional Gluten Free Gingerbread is one of the many things I love about Christmas! Christmas has always been a special time of year for my family. It’s the one time of year we have the opportunity to spend the entire day together. Always a feat when you’re a part of a family of 7.
Apart from spending the day together, it’s all about the food and a little bit about the presents in my family. We have a traditional lunch, but my favourite part of the lunch is the treats that go with it. Treats such as Christmas pudding, fruit cake, cherries, a selection of nuts and of course gingerbread.
Gingerbread has to be my favourite. So I thought I would share my Gluten Free Gingerbread recipe with you all.
Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas!
- 125 g butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg yolk
- 2¾ cups gluten free plain flour
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 180°C/170° fan forced and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter, sugar and golden syrup until creamy. Add egg yolk and combine.
- Stir in flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Bring dough together and knead until smooth. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes. Tip: If its still a bit gooey and sticking to your hands add a little extra flour.
- Roll the dough until 5mm thick and using the desired cookie cutter, cut shapes from dough, re-rolling dough scraps. Place, 2cm apart, on prepared trays. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until firm to touch and set aside to cool before eating.